Fruit on the bottom Yogurt

Of many good things I got introduced to in The Netherlands, the myriad variety of yogurts is one among the best. They are outright addictive, at least for me. My connection with it dates back to my childhood. I have been a yogurt lover ever since I was a little girl. My brother used to loathe all kinds of dairy products and hence I used to get all the cream, butter, milk, yogurt and everything of that sorts, far more than my share, to my joy. Cut the long story short, I am now in a dreamland of dairy products :) After eating loads and loads of store brought fruity-yogurts, I suddenly got inspired to make it at home, a little healthier version with more fresh fruits and lessened sweeteners. Google helped me find an awesome recipe, and here I am with my own version of healthy home made fruit-on-the-bottom-yogurt..!

More than all that, it is a pleasure to try making these simple things :)

Ingredients:
  • Strawberries - 200g 
  • yogurt - 2 cups
  • honey - to sweeten the yogurt as much you like
  • corn starch - 1 tsp
  • cold water - 2 tsp ( to stir in corn starch)
  • salt  - a pinch

Method:
  1. Chop the fruit into small pieces. 
  2. Take a sauce pan and put the fruit, a pinch of salt, a spoon of water and heat. Let it simmer, stirring frequently.
  3. When the fruit becomes mushy, mix corn starch in cold water without lumps and add to the pan.
  4. Simmer for few minutes, stirring often, until thickened.
  5. Let this cool off completely. Meanwhile sweeten the yogurt with honey, if you prefer and keep it chilled.
  6. Spoon the fruit compote into serving bowls or cup and top it with generous amounts of yogurt. Serve chilled.

Variations:
  1. Can make also with other fruits like plums or peaches or lychees or currants or other berries.
  2. Can use flavored yogurt as well.
  3. Throw in some chopped nuts for crunch and your on-the-go snack is ready.

Now, You can either daintily eat spoon after spoon or you may stir yogurt n fruit  together and dug into it. Choice is yours :-)

Enjoy!