Bell Pepper Zunka

I associate this dish with my little girl Anjali's first birthday party. It was the hit dish of the day..!
I made this dish especially for the vegan friends in the guest list for the dinner, as they cannot enjoy my chicken delicacy :) But it had been quite a pleasant surprise that everyone, literally everyone, liked this dish and were asking for the recipe there itself  :) I promised to post the recipe sooner than this, I know, I am late :P

I also have another story to tell here.. I simply love the paprika mix pack that greets me with three bright colored bell peppers. I get tempted to grab it, every time I am at the store. Earlier, my problem was the lack of right recipe that uses all three of them. I tried once to make potato with three bell peppers curry, but it did not appeal our taste. So, for a long time I restrained myself from buying them on a regular basis.



It all changed when I found the perfect recipe that suits all my needs- super quick and simple and of course tasted yummy to please our palate. Also I realized that the bell peppers should not be over cooked. They taste their best when they are sauteed while retaining their crunch. I have taken the recipe from Aarthi's food blog and adjusted few measures that suit my taste.

Ingredients:
Bell peppers - cut into cubes of 1/2 inch 
mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
cumin seeds - 1/2 tsp
green chillies - 2 or 3 
Chick pea flour (besan) - 3 tbsp
salt to taste
red chilli powder - 1 tsp
garam masala - 1/2 tsp
oil - 2 tbsp

Procedure:
1. Heat 1 tbsp oil in a non stick pan, add green chillies, mustard seeds and cumin seeds.
2. When the seeds crackle, add the bell pepper cubes and saute them on high flame for 2 -3 minutes.
3. Add salt (caution: very little will be sufficient), red chilli powder and saute for another minute.
4. When the pepper is fork tender, sprinkle the chick pea flour over the veggies and pour the remaining oil evenly all over and toss well such that all the pieces are covered with the flour, fry on a medium flame for a couple of minutes and garnish with the garam masala.

This dish goes well with both rotis and rice.