Ravva Laddu

Ravva laddu is one such simple sweet which I don't think twice to make them anytime.

I do not remember my mom ever making them at home. So for a long time, I was under the impression that it's not so easy to make at home. Whenever I come across it I used to relish this sweet as if it's an exotic sweet dish! That was years ago, now it seems so funny though :) On one such occasions, one of my colleagues, a friend, told me that it is simplest of all sweets to make at home, and in no time at all. Imagine how happy I was :-) Ergo, I kept making ravva laddoos at home repeatedly, until I got bored of it at one point!! Nonetheless, I like this simple sweet so much so that it is the one sweet that I made innumerable times  :)

Ingredients:
Ravva (semoline) - 2 cups
Sugar - 1 1/2 cups
Ghee - 3 or 4 tbsp
Green cardamom pods - 4
Cashews - a handful
Raisins - a handful
Whole Milk - 1/2 cup

Procedure:
1. Heat a tablespoon of ghee in pan and roast the cashews till golden brown. Remove cashews to a small bowl and roast the raisins till they puff like balls and remove into the bowl.
2. Heat 3 tbsps ghee in pan and roast the ravva in ghee on medium-low flame. Keep stirring or the ravva would get burnt. It is done when a nice roasted aroma comes out, it takes around 10 to 15 minutes (or more if quantity of ravva is more)
3. Transfer the roasted ravva to a huge bowl.
4. Take sugar and cardamom pods in a mixer-grinder and blend. Blending cardamom with sugar will give a huge lift to the flavor of the laddu, whereas adding store bought cardamom powder can never achieve that.
5. Add this sugar mixture to the roasted ravva. Add 1/4 cup warm milk to this mixture and mix well using fingers. Throw in the roasted nuts and raisins.
6. Do not let the mixture to cool, the laddu cannot be formed if it is too cold. When the mix is warm enough to be handled, use your both palms to make small balls and set them in an air tight container.

Notes:
1. If the laddu is not staying intact while making, add a little more warm milk to make the mixture moist.
2. Instead of using milk, half a cup of ghee can be used. That yields definitely tastier laddoos :)

These ravva laddus stay fresh for around a week.